San Jose, Ca. - April 15, 2004 – Get into the global community spirit for Earth Day at The Tech on Saturday, April 17. Day-long activities include insightful presentations and workshops, engaging gallery floor programs, and impressive IMAX film experiences.
All sessions and programs are free with gallery admission, or memberships to The Tech Museum or Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. Standard IMAX prices apply. Join us to discuss and better understand how we're all affected by technology's impact on the environment.
Special Speakers and Presentations:
· Fuel Cells – 11 a.m. – 12 p.m., Presented by Barbara Heydorn, Senior
Consultant, SRI Consulting Business Intelligence
· Earth, Life and Nanotechnology – 2 p.m. - 3:30 p.m., Co-presented by: The
Nano Education & Training Forum (nETF) and Jonathan D. Trent, Ph.D
Sky Power Systems – 1 p.m. - 3 p.m., on The Tech's Rooftop
· Stanford SOLAR Center Solar Astronomers – 1 p.m. – 3 p.m., on The Tech's
· Silicon Valley Toxics Coalition – 1 p.m. – 4 p.m.
· End of Oil and the Emergence of Clean Energy – 1 p.m.- 3 p.m., Co-presented
by The Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI) at UC Santa Cruz Extension
Hands-on Gallery Programs
- Newton|!s Rocket Car, provided by Agilent After School Program – Assemble your own car, taking into consideration symmetry, friction, and other variables to ensure a fast, efficient vehicle
- Imbiber beads – Oil spill|@ Imbiber beads to the rescue! Imbibitive Technologies America, Inc. is a 2003 Tech Museum Awards Intel Environmental Laureate
- Sun prints – Create your own works of art using solar energy
- UV Beads – Make an ultraviolet light indicator, and see if your sunglasses really do block UV rays
- Segway – Take a ride on the Segway™ Human Transporter (HT), an alternative personal transportation system
Don|!t miss these environmentally themed films on The Tech's giant IMAX Dome.
Bugs! highlights the extraordinary insect kingdom, magnified up to 250,000 times the normal size - visit a world where life is measured in hours! Show times on April 17 for Bugs! are noon and 2 p.m.
Coral Reef Adventure is a groundbreaking underwater journey that brings to life the true beauty and diversity of this precious ecosystem. Coral Reef Adventure plays at 4 p.m. on April 17.
About The Tech Museum of Innovation
Located in the heart of downtown San Jose, Silicon Valley, Calif., The Tech Museum of Innovation, a non-profit organization, engages people of all ages and backgrounds in exploring and experiencing the technologies affecting their lives and aims to inspire the young to become innovators in the technologies of the future. For more information, visit www.thetech.org
or call (408) 294-TECH.
The Tech Museum of Innovation – Sheila Villadelgado, 408-795-6230, email@example.com