Book online or call Group Reservations at (408) 294-8324 (option 3). Reservations are required 2 weeks in advance.
Spark your students’ fascination for science and technology at The Tech Museum of Innovation!
Combine any of the following to design a field trip that best supports your students’ learning. Our exhibit galleries, gallery programs, Hands-On Science Workshops, The Tech Science Labs reinforce State and National Standards.
To learn more about adding a Science Lab into your field trip experience, visit The Tech Science Labs.
Space is limited so book your field trip today.
"Thank you for being an awesome place for my students to visit! These are children who may never have the opportunity to visit a place like this so you are doing a wonderful thing for their futures!!"
—4th grade teacher, Luther Burbank Elementary School
Support for Title 1 Students
Thanks to our generous donors, The Tech has funding to provide fee-waived experiences for California Title 1 K-12 students that include fee-waived museum entrance, fee-waived labs, and limited transportation reimbursement. To participate in our fee-waived programs, your school must be officially designated Title I by the Department of Education and you must reserve your space prior to your visit. There are limited funds available to provide scholarships to Title 1 Schools to waive fees for labs. For this reason, there is a $50.00 refundable deposit for each lab. Deposits will be refunded at the time of check-in on the date of your field trip.
Please join us in thanking our generous learning sponsors that fund our free field trips and other learning programs for Title 1 schools.
Funding is limited, so book your field trip today. To book your field trip, call Group Reservations at 1-408-294-8324 (option 3) Reservations are required 2 weeks in advance.
Field Trip Policies
To help us provide you with a positive and efficient process for booking and planning your trip to The Tech, please call and request a copy of our Field Trip Policy Guidelines.
- When you are ready, contact our Group Sales office at 1-408-294-8324 (option 3) to book your field trip. You may also book online.
- You will need to know the number of students, teachers, and adult chaperons attending, the planned date, a few alternate dates, and the expected arrival time.
- Ask about The Tech Science Labs and Educational IMAX® films that will enhance your students’ visit to The Tech Museum of Innovation.
- Please note that The Tech Science Labs and Educational IMAX® films must be booked over the phone rather than online.
- To apply for a trip through our online system, you must have a valid email address, as this is where we will be sending your confirmation information.
- Submit one application per visit. To book multiple trips on different days, please submit separate requests.
Trip Booking Tips for Teachers
- The Tech is open Monday – Sunday 10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. year-round. From late September through mid-June, The Tech opens an hour early (9:00 a.m.) for field trips.
- March, April, and May are peak months for school field trips. For best selection of activities, try requesting trips in September–October or January–February.
- We suggest at least 2 hours to visit The Tech galleries, 1 hour for an Educational IMAX® film, and 90 minutes for The Tech Science Labs session. Don't forget to allow at least 30 minutes for your group to have lunch, if you are staying for the entire day.
- Be sure to make arrangements for transportation as soon as you book your trip with The Tech Museum of Innovation, as the activities you want may not be available if you need to change your trip date.
- We invite you to visit The Tech prior to your field trip to become familiar with our galleries and gallery programs.
- Upon arrival at the museum, each student will be issued a TechTag. Use your TechTag at many of the exhibits and take your museum experience back to the classroom.
The Tech Science Labs
- The Tech Science Labs align with State and National Standards.
- Lab sessions are available Monday through Friday throughout the school year. Science Labs begin at 9:30 a.m. and 12:30 p.m. and last 90 minutes. Labs have a maximum of 32 students per session. Each lab session costs $250.
- Title 1 schools may be eligible for fee-waived Science Labs. Please ask about this opportunity when making your reservations. Please note: a pre-visit and/or post-visit activity related to the lab topic is required to qualify for the fee waiver. Funding is limited so book your trip today
- The Tech Science Labs require a $50.00 non-refundable deposit per lab. Full payment is required the day of your visit at the group ticketing desk. Title 1 schools receiving fee waivers will be refunded the deposit at the time of check-in for your visit. A cancellation within two weeks of your lab date or a no-show will result in the loss of your deposit regardless of Title 1 status.
- For descriptions of The Tech Science Labs offered, with lesson plans and State and National Standards for each lab, please visit The Tech Science Labs.
- Lab space is limited, so book today.
The Hackworth IMAX® Dome Theater
- The Hackworth IMAX® Dome Theater holds 280 guests, plus limited wheelchair spaces. Seating is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Plan to line up for your film 15 minutes prior to your show time. This will allow The Hackworth IMAX® Dome Theater usher to scan your ticket and for your groups to be seated together. You must enter as a group before the film starts.
- Please refer to our calendar for regular showing educational films. Most films have downloadable Educator's Resource Guides.
- If you are a group of 50 or more, the 10:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m. time slots can be reserved with a film from our library of your choosing. These time slots book quickly so book your trip today.
If your After-school program is ASES or 21st-Century funded, museum entrance fees may be waived for your group. For more information on After-school program field trips or to make reservations please contact our group sales office at 1-408-294-8324 (option 3).
If your program is funded by ASES/21st-Century or you are a Title 1 school and are located in Monterey, San Benito, or Santa Cruz counties, you may qualify for transportation support. Please call to inquire today.
The Tech Museum of Innovation requires a minimum of 1 adult chaperon per 8 students to ensure a safe and rewarding experience. Chaperones must be over 18 years old and not currently attending the school. Chaperones accompanying students are responsible for supervising them at all times. This includes while your group:
- Visits the museum's galleries
- Participates in The Tech Science Labs
- Is on-board escalators or elevators
- Enjoys a film in The Hackworth IMAX® Dome Theater
- Shops in The Tech Store
- Visits Tech Cafe
Please download and distribute the chaperone map, before arriving to The Tech. Prepare your chaperones by reviewing The Tech's policies, rules and your trip itinerary.
Group Name Tags
The Tech requires all school groups to wear group nametags or have some other identifying item (logo T-shirts, badges, etc.) as a way of recognizing specific groups. For the safety of the students, nametags should indicate the group name only, not individual names.
Lunch Policy and Facilities
- During your visit The Tech requires that student lunches be stored in our multi-use room or in lockers if available. Please bring your own bins to store lunches as we do not provide storage bins.
- Before leaving your school site, please collect all lunches in boxes or plastic bags so that they are easy to transport when you arrive.
- To secure items of value, a small number of lockers are available for $.50 near the elevator on the Ground Level and on the Lower Level.
- For groups interested in purchasing food, the Tech Cafe offers a range of lunch and snack items. For advance ordering information, please call 1-408-294-8324 for more information.
- We also offer movie concessions at The Hackworth IMAX® Dome Theater.
- Groups may eat lunch in Cesar Chavez Park (located across the street), or based on availability in The Tech's large multi-use room, New Venture Hall. This room accommodates up to 300 students and is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Please make sure to leave any valuables at home or school. The Tech Museum is not responsible for any lost or stolen items.
Once you have reserved your field trip, you will receive a confirmation email. Attached to this email will be your confirmation letter containing all the activities you have reserved, the cost for each activity, and The Tech payment policies. To accelerate your check-in please bring your confirmation letter with you on the day of your visit. If you do not receive your confirmation within 3 business days, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Payment in full is required at the time of check-in. We accept cash, AMEX, Visa, MasterCard, Discover and school-issued checks.
- Groups that choose to pre-pay may call 1-408- 294-8324 (option 3) to make payment by credit card.
- Pre-payments by check, sent via mail, must be received by The Tech before the date of your visit.
Payments should be made out to The Tech Museum of Innovation and mailed with your invoice to the attention of Accounts Payable at:
The Tech Museum of Innovation
201 South Market Street
San Jose, CA 95113
After you have made your reservation you will receive your confirmation information and any additional information requested via email. Please review this information in detail and notify us immediately of any errors. Please make any changes to your attendance on your invoice to avoid overpayment.
Title 1 schools are eligible for fee-waived Science Labs. Funding is limited so book your trip today.
Cancellations / Late Arrivals
- Groups must arrive at least 20 minutes prior to their first scheduled activity to allow time for unloading and check in.
- We realize that groups may arrive late due to situations beyond their control. If our schedule allows, we will try to accommodate those groups who arrive late so that they still enjoy a full experience. As our labs and IMAX® films must start on time, this is not always possible.
- If your group will be significantly late arriving on the date of your trip, please call the Group Sales Office at 1-408-294-8324 (option 3).
- For all cancellations, we require an email at least two weeks in advance of your scheduled field trip.
- If you must cancel or reschedule, please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the Group Sales Office at 1-408- 294-8324 (option 3).