Design-Build-Inspire! Training Workshop
Iridescent Design-Build-Inspire! Workshop
Saturday, May 4, 2013
9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
New Venture Hall
- Engineers learn a process to communicate and present science and engineering concepts to children.
- Engineers work in teams to develop unique, inquiry-based projects that they will conduct with the families in local schools.
- Teachers assist engineers with information on students’ prior knowledge and applicable standards.
- Parents work with teams to coordinate the logistics of Family Science Courses (dinner, materials, handouts, translation and AV equipment).
- Teams of engineers sign up to teach one evening a week for 2 to 3 weeks of Family Science at their local partner school in end of May and early June.
|9:00 – 9:30 a.m.||Check-in and Meet and Greet|
|9:30 – 10:00 a.m.||Introduction to Iridescent, The Tech and school partners|
|10:00 – 11:00 a.m.||
What makes a good engineering design challenge?
Build a sample activity
|11:00 – 11:30 a.m.||Discussion: Evaluate and critique of sample activity|
|11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.||Lunch|
|12:30 – 1:30 p.m.||Create Your Own Content and Challenge – teams will create their own content|
|1:30 – 2:30 p.m.||Family Science Course Planning – Teams will outline the multi-week course content and assign members to teach each week|
|2:30 – 3:30 p.m.||Elements of a Good Presentation and Classroom Management|
|3:30 – 4:00 p.m.||Wrap Up and Next Steps|