The Tech Museum of Innovation
201 South Market Street
San Jose, CA 95113
The Tech Museum of Innovation 2015 © All rights reserved.
The Tech Museum of Innovation is a registered 501 (c)(3).
Federal ID # 94-2864660
"I am proud of the partnership with the City of San Jose, local businesses, donors and universities that has made The Tech such a unique and special entity. The remarkable teamwork between our amazing staff, board and volunteers has laid a strong foundation for The Tech," said Peter Giles, The Tech's CEO. "I am proud of this team for successfully navigating the dot com bubble burst, while continuing to grow the dream of The Tech. We're more focused than ever on our mission to engage and inspire people of all ages, especially the young. It is now time for new leadership to build on The Tech's founding vision, and I have no doubt in the team's abilities to further our work after my departure."
"Peter's direction of The Tech has fostered a collaboration which makes Silicon Valley's innovations accessible and exciting to everyone. We are proud of our accomplishments under his leadership and wish him the best in the next stage of his life journey," said Mike Hackworth, Chairman of The Tech's board of directors. "Meredith will leverage her enthusiasm and proven leadership skills to further The Tech as a vibrant, learning and teaching center."
Previously CEO of the Silicon Valley Manufacturing Group, Peter Giles has led The Tech since 1987. Giles spearheaded The Garage, a prototype museum opened in 1990, and his hard work culminated in the 1998 opening of The Tech's current Legorreta-designed, downtown San Jose facility.
Under his direction, The Tech has grown into an internationally recognized organization that leverages Silicon Valley technologies to foster the spirit of innovation locally and globally.
Landmark successes include:
- Over 4 million visitors, 1987 – present; with attendance trending upward in 2004 versus 2003
- Founding and year-over-year growth of The Tech Museum Awards: Technology Benefiting Humanity, with $1 million in global cash prize disbursements
- Empowering 1 million educators and youth through teacher training institutes and web-based resources, field trips and community partnerships with area schools and youth groups
- Development of a signature learning approach, Design in Mind Learning, to provide teacher professional development and curricula throughout the US
- Engaging 20,000 youth in 17 annual Tech Challenge competitions
- Tech Endowment fundraising – $14 million to date
- Funding the $113 million Tech Museum opening, including an unprecedented $32 million of in-kind contributions from industry
- Opening the only IMAX Dome Theater in Northern California
- Current implementation of a major exhibit renewal strategy; three permanent exhibitions (30% of gallery space) designed, developed and installed in 2004
Giles serves on the board of the Association of Science Technology Centers, and the Giant Screen Theater Association. He has received the John Gardner Leadership Award from the American Leadership Forum, was recognized as San Jose Citizen of the Year by The Boys and Girls club, and was a fellow of the American Leadership Forum.
About The Tech Museum of Innovation
Located in the heart of downtown San Jose, Silicon Valley, Calif., The Tech Museum of Innovation, a non-profit organization, engages people of all ages and backgrounds in exploring and experiencing the technologies affecting their lives and aims to inspire the young to become innovators in the technologies of the future. For more information, visit www.thetech.org  or call (408) 294-TECH.