Judges and Volunteers
You are here
The Tech Challenge could not happen without an army of passionate volunteers. Over 650 volunteers are needed to successfully complete our Final Showcase.
There are many important volunteer positions to fill at the Tech Challenge. Please consider volunteering for one or more roles:
Judges: Teams of judges evaluate entries and recommend awards to the head judges, who make the final decisions. Judges will:
- Observe teams as they operate their devices.
- Review teams’ engineering journals, examine devices, and talk to team members to understand their design process, from brainstorming through to testing and final preparations for the event.
Requirements and restrictions:
- Must attend a 75-minute training session.
- Judge training occurs on the same days as test trials, so you can stay and see test rig operations.
- Judges are strongly encouraged to volunteer for more than one shift.
- Engineering experience is not required.
- You cannot be a judge and a team adviser the same year.
- You cannot be a judge if you have a child participating in the Tech Challenge.
- Judges must be at least 18 years old and have graduated high school.
Event support: We need flexible folks who can help out where they are needed most throughout the event
Team check-in: Be the first to greet our teams at the showcase. Help us track who shows up, and help the teams head off in the right direction.
Judging support: Collect scoresheets and return them to head judges.
Judges must attend a training session to learn about the challenge, see the test rig and learn how to evaluate teams. Training sessions are scheduled on the same days as test trials, so you can stay to see the rig operations.
What to Expect
The Tech's staff will:
- Support you and/or your group every step of the way.
- Provide all necessary training appropriate to each volunteer's position.
- Provide recruiting information and materials.
You and/or your group will:
- Recruit volunteers for the showcase.
- Ensure that each volunteer registers for a position through our website.
- Participate in a rewarding and inspiring event where you get to see our future innovators in action!