Judges and Volunteers
You are here
Thank you for your continued support of The Tech Challenge. It takes many dedicated volunteers to make Tech Challenge happen. We can’t do it without you! We are switching to an all-virtual format for this year’s event. This means we will need virtual volunteers. Stay tuned for details of how to support The Tech Challenge in 2021!
General Volunteer Registration opens March 9. Please come back then to sign up.
Judges: Teams of judges evaluate entries and recommend awards to the head judges, who make the final decisions. Judges will:
- Observe teams as they operate their devices.
- Review teams’ engineering journals, examine devices, and talk to team members to understand their design process, from brainstorming through to testing and final preparations for the event.
Requirements and restrictions:
- Must attend a 75-minute training session.
- Judge training occurs on the same days as test trials, so you can stay and see test rig operations.
- Judges are strongly encouraged to volunteer for more than one shift.
- Engineering experience is not required.
- You cannot be a judge and a team adviser the same year.
- You cannot be a judge if you have a child participating in the Tech Challenge.
- Judges must be at least 18 years old and have graduated high school.
Judges must attend a virtual training session to learn about the challenge, learn how to evaluate teams, and to be trained on the virtual event platform.
What to Expect
The Tech's staff will:
- Support you and/or your group every step of the way.
- Provide all necessary training appropriate to each volunteer's position.
- Provide recruiting information and materials.
You and/or your group will:
- Recruit volunteers for the showcase.
- Ensure that each volunteer registers for a position through our website.
- Participate in a rewarding and inspiring event where you get to see our future innovators in action!