Teams will stop by two judging stations. At each station the team will meet with a team of judges. If a team’s device is only partially complete, team members are still encouraged to participate. Advisers do not accompany the team to the judging area.
The program's big finale - an inspiring event enjoyed by participants, advisers, family and friends!
April 29 and 30, 2023
Certificate of Completion
The Tech Challenge Final Showcase is the program’s big finale, a weekend during which teams interview with judges, demonstrate their devices on a test rig and present their engineering journal. It is an inspiring event enjoyed by participants, advisers, family and friends!
This year’s showcase will be in-person! Final Showcase will take place April 29, and April 30, 2023 at South Hall, 435 S. Market Street in Downtown San Jose.
Dates and Times by Grade Division
*Exact times will be determined by Spring 2023
SATURDAY, APRIL 29
- Grades 4-5:
- Team check-in: 9 to 11 a.m.
- Awards Ceremony: 1 to 1:30 p.m.
- Grade 6:
- Team check-in: 2 to 3:30 p.m.
- Awards Ceremony: 4:30 to 5 p.m.
SUNDAY, APRIL 30
- Grades 9-12:
- Team check-in: 10 to 11:30 a.m.
- Awards Ceremony: 12:30 to 1 p.m.
- Grades 7-8:
- Team check-in: 1:30 to 3:00 p.m.
- Awards Ceremony: 4 to 4:30 p.m.
When teams arrive at Showcase, they will enter a line to sign in, get their t-shirts, and all other important items for the day. One adviser can stay with the team, but we request that other adults make their way to the seating area.
Teams will exit the judging area and parents and advisers can greet their teams.
We encourage everyone to stay for the awards ceremony. Multiple awards are given and aren’t all based on how well your device performed. Teams, advisers, parents, teachers, spectators and the public are welcome at the ceremony, which takes place after each division’s judging time. There is no charge to attend.
The Tech Challenge is a challenge, not a contest. Teams should participate because they want to learn about the engineering process. However, we do recognize and celebrate outstanding achievement with the following primary awards:
Outstanding Overall (3 awards per division)
Outstanding Engineering Journal
Outstanding Engineering Design Process
Outstanding Device Performance
Judges Inspiration Award
Judges Choice Award(s)
Pit Space and Queuing
Teams will be given a queuing pager and directed to the pit area. One adult adviser is allowed to enter the pit area with the team. This space is designated for teams to relax while waiting to be paged for judging.
- Teams may choose any available table.
- Only one table per team.
- Team members should pick up T-shirts before entering the area.
- No running in the pit.
- Advisers are responsible for supervision in the pit area. One adult adviser is allowed to enter the pit area with the team.
- Once a team enters judging, they are not allowed to go back to the pit area.
- Please do not leave anything on the tables.
The use of AC power is not permitted at any time during the Showcase.